Mixed Media, Jewellery, Printmaking
I trained as a teacher in Glasgow and after a number of years working with some of the most deprived children in the city, I went to North Africa as a volunteer with International Voluntary Service. On my return to the UK I taught for the ILEA but after having my family worked in Adult Education running workshops for families helping parents to support their children’s education and to enhance their own. I worked for the City Literary Institute, Tower Hamlets and many other London boroughs.
Despite coming from a long line of artist/craftsmen, it was not until I retired that I was able to revisit and develop my interest in the visual arts.
I enjoy travel and make necklaces from beads collected in many countries including the Middle East and India. I also make hand printed silk scarves and have designed a wide range of black and white greetings cards.
In recent years I have developed a form of collage using my painted and printed papers to create landscape pictures. These papers may suggest a sky, the sea or a distant hill and allows me to explore my love of colour and texture. Much of my inspiration comes from the wild and solitary beauty of the hills of Scotland.
I hope my work will evoke an atmosphere of calm, bring back memories and perhaps lift the spirits of the viewer.
- Six Ways with Colour, Burgh House 2020
- Climate Change is Real, virtual exhibition 2020
- Primavera, Barbican Library 2019
- Arboretum, Stevens House 2018
- East Finchley Open Studios 2015-2019
- East Finchley Arts Festival 2017-2019
- 50/50 Highgate Literary and Scientific Society 2018
- Almost Wabi Sabi, 2017
- Regeneration, Ply Gallery 2017
- Reflétions, Ply Gallery 2017
- Breaking Boundaries, The Original Gallery 2016
- Rhythm and Blues, The Original Gallery 2015
- Morley Makers, Burgh House 2012
- Morley College Exhibitions 2008,2009,2010, 2012
- Wandsworth Artists’ Open Houses 2009, 2010